This year CAN be different. This year Americans will give the gift of genuine concern for other Americans right in your own community. There is no longer an excuse that, at gift giving time, nothing can be found that is produced by American hands. Oh.... Yes there is! It is time to think outside the Box. Who says a gift needs to fit in a shirt box, wrapped in wrapping paper?|
Remember, folks this isn't about big National chains, this is about supporting your home town Americans with their financial lives on the line to keep their doors open.
- Everyone-yes EVERYONE gets their hair cut. How about gift certificates from your local American hair salon or barber?
- Gym membership? It's appropriate for all ages who are thinking about some health improvement.
- Who wouldn't appreciate getting their car detailed? Small, American owned detail shops and car washes would love to sell you a gift certificate or a book of gift certificates.
- Are you one of those extravagant givers who think nothing of plunking down the Franklins on a foreign-made flat-screen TV? Perhaps that grateful gift receiver would like his driveway sealed, lawn mowed for the summer, snowy driveway plowed all winter, or some rounds at the local golf course.
- There are a gazillion owner-run restaurants-many offering gift certificates. If your intended isn't the fancy eatery sort, what about a half dozen breakfasts at the local breakfast joint?
You see, Christmas is no longer about draining American pockets to benefit foreign manufacturers. Christmas is now about caring about US (We the People), encouraging American small businesses to keep plugging away to follow their dreams. When we care about other Americans, we care about our communities, and the benefits come back to us in ways we could not imagine.
- How many people couldn't use an oil change for their car, truck or motorcycle, done at a shop run by the American working guy?
- Thinking about a heartfelt gift for mom? Mom would LOVE the services of a local cleaning lady for a day.
- My computer could use a tune-up, and I KNOW I can find someone who is struggling to get a repair business up and running.
- Looking for something more personal? Local crafts people spin their own wool and knit them into scarves. They make jewelry, and pottery and beautiful wooden boxes.
- Plan your holiday outings at local, owner operated restaurants and leave your server a nice tip.
- How about going out to see a play or ballet at your hometown theater? Musicians need love too, so find a venue showcasing local bands.
- Do you REALLY need to buy another ten thousand Christmas lights for the house? When you buy a five dollar string of light, about fifty cents stays in the community.
- If you have those kinds of bucks to burn, leave the mailman, trash guy or babysitter a nice BIG tip.
This can be the new American Christmas tradition!!
Please pass this around because we CAN make a difference, can't we?
Printer-friendly Acrobat (pdf) Version This prints to make a tri-fold brochure.
The writer of these ideas is unknown, but we thought them worthy of recording on this Website so they can be viewed year around. Thanks to William A. Hollenbeck for passing the list along to us.